In this episode of Meals from the Sunnah, we learn how to make السويق (As-Saweeq), the original Date Balls!
Narrated Suwaid bin Al-Nu`man:
In the year of the conquest of Khaibar, I went with Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) till we reached Sahba, a place near Khaibar, where Allah’s Messenger (ﷺ) offered the `Asr prayer and asked for food. Nothing but saweeq was brought. He ordered it to be moistened with water. He and all of us ate it and the Prophet (ﷺ) got up for the evening prayer (Maghrib prayer), rinsed his mouth with water and we did the same, and he then prayed without repeating the ablution.Sahih Bukhari
Baking Dates (available in Mediterranean/ Middle Eastern grocery stores)
Whole Wheat Flour (½ cup)
Shortening/ or Ghee (3 tablespoons)
Milk (a few tablespoons)
Cocoa powder (optional)
- In a pan, roast the whole wheat flour on low heat until the colour turns brown. Be sure to not let it burn.
- Place all ingredients into the large bowl
- Mix the ingredients together with your hands (for a couple of minutes)
- Add more flour if wanting a more flaky texture. Or more ghee if moister.
- Mix together until fully incorporated.
- Roll into balls and prepare on plate